- "Green" transportation with existing train and bus service
- Drop off at hotel or residence in San Francisco at about 10:00 p.m. (11:30 p.m from May 14)
- TRAVEL 2 hours from Yosemite Valley Lodge by Yosemite Area Regional Transit (YARTS) on a large 45 foot motor coach(bus) seating up to 55 passengers, with a wash room to Merced
- AMTRAK train from Merced that has large wide seats and big windows, Wi Fi, Cafe Car and wash rooms
- Suitable for Cedar Lodge and Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal. Ideal for Half Dome Village, The Majestic Yosemite Hotel, Yosemite Valley Lodge by The Falls and campsites.
Leave at Yosemite Valley Lodge at 4:00 p.m and reach San Francisco by 10:00 p.m until May 13th. Starting May 14th, leave at Yosemite Valley Lodge at 4:45 p.m. and reach San Francisco hotel by 11:30 p.m.
The distance from Yosemite to San Francisco is 215 miles (345 km). Driving time in a car is at least 4 hours, in a bus about 5 hours or more each way. Several tour companies who operate sightseeing trips for the day may offer transportation at full day tour cost of up to $160. Those using large 40 or 45 feet motor coaches seating up to 55 passengers have space for luggage. Others using mini buses or vans charge for the space taken up by your baggage if it cannot fit under the seat.
The bus from Yosemite is similar to the large bus used by sightseeing companies. The train ride from Merced to San Francisco is very comfortable with amenities such as wifi and cafe car.